Philippines Gilas and Australia Basket-Brawl: What really happened?
One way to turn a basketball game into a basket-BRAWL is to hit a guy with an elbow on the neck. This is what most people believed has happened before all hell broke lose, or is it?Videos about the recent incident have mushroomed over twitter. By watching these videos over and over again, let us analyze what had really happened and what started it all.
What started it all?
To clearly understand what happened, I will list down in order what I’ve seen in the videos.
- Goulding was hit by Pogoy with an elbow before passing.
- Pogoy hits Goulding again, then Goulding fell down.
- Kickert elbows Pogoy, then Pogoy goes down. This is what most people believed started the brawl.
- Blatche retaliates and everyone runs to join the fight.
- Castro lands a punch on Kickert.
- Cruz lands a punch on Goulding, taken down and was beat up by the Gilas players and reserves.
- Maker leaps on Blatche in an effort to save Goulding.
- Abueva and Sobey tangle.
- Romeo throws a punch on Maker.
- Maker flying kicks Romeo.
- Kickert tangles with Cruz, then Wright.
- The Australian coach pulls his players out of the fight.
- A reserve throws a chair to another Australian player.
4 players from the Australian team and 9 players from the Philippines team have been ejected out of the game. The only Gilas players left to play are Fajardo, Norwood, and Amer. They fouled out afterwards losing the game with 89-53 in favor of Australia.
List of Ejected Players
Tweets and Videos
— Brent Dawkins (@DawkinsBrent) July 2, 2018
— Walther Kui (@waltherkui) July 2, 2018
People argues that the Australian have been disrespect full from the start and that what pushed the Gilas players to the breaking point. People reported that the Australian team have been ripping out sponsor stickers before the game. Though I’m not sure if putting a sticker in the Free Throw area is legal.
Aussie team ripping our/Fiba logos on the court of Phil Arena w/o asking permission. We will not back down. Those stickers go in. Regardless. pic.twitter.com/LMwyiBNtG4
— Manny V. Pangilinan (@iamMVP) July 1, 2018
Photos are not mine so credit to the owner, I just copied them from Google Search.